|GIFTED PRE-K ACADEMY|
SUSD Gifted Pre-Kindergarten Academy (GPA) is designed to meet the unique learning needs of gifted 4-year-old children. Eligible students must meet the gifted requirements for young children who show superior verbal and quantitative abilities. An enriched, rigorous, accelerated learning environment is provided by a certified teacher with specialized training in meeting the needs of gifted youngsters.
For questions or additional information contact Gifted Services at (480) 484-5014
If interested in signing up for testing into this program, please click on the link below and scroll down to gifted Pre-K 4s Interest List and follow the instructions to enroll.
Redfield Elementary School
The Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence (WPPSI) will be used to identify students who are eligible for admission. Preschool students can be tested by a SUSD school psychologist for a fee of $120, payable by cash, personal check or money order at the time of the test. Parents sign up for available test sessions after enrolling on the interest list, by clicking here.
Test dates will be: Feb 27 – March 3, 2017 and if needed March 20-24 and then twice a week until filled. Test sessions generally take 105 minutes and are 8:00-10:00 am, 10:15 am-12:15 pm, and 1:30-3:30 pm. No refunds will be offered. Results from a WPPSI will also be accepted from a private, licensed psychologist. Send documentation to email@example.com
Arizona Department of Education defines the gifted student as those who show a 97 or higher percentile ranking on a state approved test for gifted. Other information will be considered in the final acceptance of the individual child including observations and questionnaires.
Limited spaces are available. To sign up for WPPSI testing go to: Gifted Pre-K 4s Interest List
Identified young children who have superior verbal and quantitative abilities can be given enriched environments that nurture potential. SUSD believes that the earlier we can intervene with children the greater the achievement impact on their learning trajectory. Our Gifted Pre-Kindergarten Academies (GPA) will quicken the love of learning to last a lifetime.
Young learners who show advanced abilities to learn at a more rapid rate and with greater depth need a more enriched and stimulating learning environment than is designed for the average child. Young children need a child-centered approach that is developmentally appropriate. A hands-on approach can be directed to provide the fundamentals for early academic learning. Being a keen observer and explorer of the world will best lay the groundwork for future learning. Using a constructivist approach allows students to discover the underlying patterns that are the foundations for reading and mathematics.
A literature rich environment will guide the development of reading skills and comprehension. Students are taught how to think like a disciplinarian as they investigate the world around them. SUSD’s Gifted Pre-Kindergarten Academy provides an environment that nurtures the intellect, accelerates academics, taps creativity and develops social and emotional skills.
The SUSD Gifted Pre-Kindergarten Academies (GPA) are tuition-based programs designed for 4-year-old children. Students attend full-day (approximately same hours as host school), Monday through Friday (same as SUSD school calendar) with the option to attend before or after school care see communityed.susd.org
Staff include certified teachers with Gifted Endorsed and Early Childhood endorsements or are presently working on them. Classified assistants are trained in hands-on methodologies designed for the specialized needs of young gifted children. Ratio is 2 adults to 22 students.
SUSD’s first GPA will be located on the Redfield Elementary Campus. The Redfield Cardinals serve pre-kindergarten through fifth grades and house the unique Comprehensive Gifted Program (CGP). The CGP is a distinctive learning path that caters to the specialized learning needs of the highly gifted child. All CGP teachers are gifted endorsed and certified.
9181 E. Redfield Rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
To sign up for a tour: https://concrete.susd.org/schools/redfield/tour-request-form/
Phone: (480) 484-4000
- How old does my child need to be?
- How does my child qualify for the Gifted Pre-kindergarten Academy?
- What is the process for acceptance into the program?
- What are the added features of the Gifted Pre-K Academy?
- How do I get started?
- • Participants must be 4 years old by September 1st.
- • The Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence is used to determine gifted student characteristics. SUSD offers testing for a non-refundable fee of $120. Testing results will be shared by email within 48 hours after the testing session has concluded. To register go to: GiftedServices.susd.org
- • First Come, First Served. Application, WPPSI test results submission, review of application, email letter of acceptance issued, completed registration packet, fees and tuition will hold your child’s place on the list until a minimum of 20 students are enrolled. A waiting list will be kept after 22 students have been accepted. If there is not enough demand, the class may be cancelled and tuition will be refunded. Acceptance into the GPA does not guarantee entry into other SUSD gifted programs.
- • The curriculum for the GPA will be more advanced and enriched than a standard Pre-k class. The curriculum for mathematics, English Language Arts, science and social studies will cover pre-kindergarten as well as more advanced levels.
- • Smaller class sizes
- • Enroll on the GPA Interest List to establish your place in line for the first come, first served procedure.
- • Sign up for the WPPSI test or get an evaluation by an outside licensed private psychologist. Send results to firstname.lastname@example.org
- • If you receive an acceptance letter, then complete your registration
- • Attend an information meeting or take a tour of Redfield Elementary. For more information go to: Gifted Web Page